Preoperative Preparation of the Pediatric Patient - 2
Goals of Preoperative Preparation
Ultimate single, general goal: reduce morbidity of surgery.
Four more specific goals:
1. Educate patient (to decrease anxiety and facilitate recovery) regarding
- Perioperative care
- Pain management
2. Obtain pertinent information
- Medical history
- Physical and mental condition
3. Determine, decide
- Consultations, tests needed
- Care plans to be followed (guided by patient choices and risk factors)
4. Obtain informed consent.