Induction Principles and Technics - 2
Preparation for InductionWarm the induction area, most commonly the operating room, especially for young infants.
Beware of fallible memory; complete the pre-anesthesia checklist.
Choosing the Induction Technic(s)Induction technic ought be planned as part of the anesthetic continuum.
In one sense, there are two main categories of pediatric anesthetic induction:
- Parent(s) present - usually best
- Without parents - role of premedication becomes more important
There are several general methods of induction:
Factors Influencing Choice of Technic
- How old is the patient?
- What is her/his underlying illness? General medical condition? ASA physical status?
- What is the surgical procedure planned?
- How cooperative is the patient?
- Will a parent be present?
- Does s/he have an IV?
- What are the skills and preferences of the anesthesiologist?